top of page

Information for hauliers on how to transport goods from GB to the EU using the TIR Convention

TIR Carnets are international customs documents used for the transport of goods across borders.

Before leaving GB

In order to move under the TIR Convention, the haulier must hold a TIR authorisation obtained in his/her country and the vehicle moving the goods must hold an approval certificate of a road vehicle for the transport of goods under customs seal. For exceptions from this general rule (e.g. the movement of heavy and bulky goods), check the guidance for TIR.

The TIR system allows UK customs officials to pack and seal goods before they’re transported to the EU or to third countries. This means that the load will not need to be opened and inspected by customs officials at border crossings.

Book a TIR test.

The haulage company must:

  • give the driver the TIR Carnet

  • ensure that arrangements have been made, either by the trader or haulage company to declare the movement to NCTS once the TIR movement enters the EU and have the reference numbers (LRN and/or MRN) needed to present to EU customs authorities. Note: the part of the TIR journey undertaken in GB is not declared on NCTS, and so NCTS references will not need to be presented to UK customs authorities

  • instruct the driver to:

    • take and present the goods and the TIR Carnet to the UK Office of Departure where the page 1 of TIR Carnet will be stamped and detached by the customs officer and customs will seal the vehicle

    • take and present the goods and the TIR Carnet to the UK Border Force at a UK Office of Departure – customs will check the documents and ensure that the seal is intact, and will stamp and detach page 2 of the TIR Carnet

    • note: these 2 steps occur simultaneously at the Border Force office

  • check with the trader that the safety and security EXS declaration requirements have been met for the movement – relevant safety and security ENS requirements must also be met for the country the goods are being moved to (see safety and security for the procedure for submitting EXS and ENS declarations)

At the EU border

If the movement is made under the TIR Convention, the driver must present the TIR Carnet and ensure it is stamped by the EU customs authorities in line with the EU’s procedures.

After the EU border

The driver must present the TIR Carnet and ensure it is stamped by the EU customs authorities either when the goods leave the customs territory of the EU or at an EU Office of Destination or at an EU-TIR authorised consignee’s premises.

Once the vehicle has completed its journey, the driver must return the TIR Carnet to their office/manager.

bottom of page