top of page


Information on moving goods under the Transports Internationaux Routiers (TIR) Convention from the EU to GB for hauliers

Before leaving the EU

In order for the goods to move under the Transports Internationaux Routiers (TIR) Convention, the haulier must hold a TIR authorisation obtained in their country and the vehicle moving the goods must hold an approval certificate of a road vehicle for the transport of goods under customs seal.

For exceptions from this general rule (e.g. the movement of heavy and bulky goods), check the guidance for TIR.

The haulage company must:

  • give the driver the TIR Carnet

  • ensure that arrangements have been made, either by the trader or haulage company, to declare the movement to the NCTS and have the reference numbers (LRN and/or MRN) needed to present the goods to the EU customs authorities

  • instruct the driver to take and present the goods and the TIR Carnet to the EU customs authorities at an EU Office of Departure (or the Office of Departure of a third country outside the EU)

At the EU border

The driver must present the TIR Carnet and ensure it is stamped by the EU customs authorities in line with the EU’s procedures.

At the UK border

The driver must follow the port’s local procedures for the presentation of the TIR Carnet.

The driver must present the TIR Carnet to the customs office located at the port to open the transit movement for the GB leg. Customs will check the documents, the seal, put a stamp on the relevant page of TIR Carnet and detach it.

The driver will go to the customs Office of Destination or TIR authorised consignee’s premises to ensure that the TIR Carnet is handled. After that the customs seals can be removed and goods unloaded.

It is possible that the border customs office performs both entry and destination TIR procedures.

Once the vehicle has completed its journey, the driver must return the TIR Carnet to their office/manager.

bottom of page