top of page


Insight for hauliers into moving excise goods, goods covered by sanitary and phytosanitary controls (plant, animal, germinal), IUU catch certificates for fish and other marine species, live animals, and goods covered by CITES from GB into the EU

Moving excise goods out of GB and into the EU

Excise goods are alcohol, tobacco or energy products.

If the goods are subject to excise duty, in addition to other commercial documents, the driver must receive from the trader one of the following:

  • a copy of the electronic administrative document (eAD)

  • commercial documents clearly showing the administrative reference code (ARC) for the eAD

  • a paper W8 form for energy products

  • a copy of the customs declaration

Moving animal, plant and other controlled products into the EU

Haulage companies and drivers who transport animal, plant, and other controlled products, need to be aware which locations in the EU have BCPs for carrying out checks on these products.

The haulage company and driver should not start to move these types of goods until they are certain that the:

  • importer or exporter have checked that the route they intend to take is appropriate

  • border location they intend to use is authorised to move the goods they are carrying

  • trader has given them an Export Health Certificate (EHC) to accompany the goods

It is important to note that several EHCs may be needed for a single truckload even if all goods are collected from the same site.

Moving animals, animal products, plants, fish and fishery products into the EU

Traders moving animals or animal products from GB to the EU will need to apply in advance for an EHC.

The trader will need to make sure the EHC is signed by an authorised person after the consignment has been inspected.

Rules vary depending on the type of product and where they are exporting them to.

Check the export rules and check that the route goes through an appropriate BCP in the country of entry for exports of:

A phytosanitary certificate (PC) must accompany consignments of plants and plant products. A trader applies for a PC from the relevant plant health authority:

  • Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA) in England and Wales

  • Scottish Government in Scotland

  • Forestry Commission in England, Wales and Scotland for wood, wood products and bark

The driver needs to confirm with the trader or haulage company that the EU-based import agent has told the relevant BCP about the arrival of the consignment at least 24 hours before intended arrival.

The driver must carry a physical copy of each EHC or PC for their consignment.

The consignments may be checked upon arrival at the EU BCP. The driver should always check before arriving at the first EU port of arrival if a physical document is required. Failure to do so has consequences, i.e. those being without the check at the first EU port of arrival the driver may be told to return to that first port of EU arrival before the load can be delivered and offloaded at destination.

Moving marine-caught fish for human consumption into the EU

In addition to an EHC, exporters of wild-caught marine fish for human consumption will need to provide additional documentation.

Exporters of most wild-caught marine fish for human consumption caught and landed by GB vessels will need to obtain a UK catch certificate for each consignment to the EU.

Exporters of most wild-caught marine fish and some shellfish for human consumption caught and landed by third countries need to supply a copy of the third country catch certificate for each consignment to the EU.

Exporters may also need other documentation such as:

  • processing statements: if third country fish has been processed in the UK – this can be applied for through the Fish Export Service

  • storage documents: if the imported fish has remained in the UK for a period of time and has not undergone any operations other than loading or unloading – this can also be applied for through the Fish Export Service

Exporters will send a copy of the documents to their EU importer. The importer in the EU needs to submit these to the EU competent authority in advance of the import. Please check with the importing member state the required notice period. This is generally at least 4 hours in advance.

Moving live animals into the EU

To transport live animals into the EU, transporters need to apply to an EU member state, where they have representation, for:

  • an EU transporter authorisation

  • a certificate of competence

  • a vehicle approval certificate

The EU does not recognise UK-issued versions of these documents.

Transporters are not permitted to hold transporter authorisation or vehicle approval in more than one EU member state.

For further information contact APHA.

Journey logs

To transport live animals from, or through, England, Scotland or Wales into the EU transporters need to apply for 2 journey logs.

  • one approved by the EU member state which is the first point of entry into the EU

  • one approved by APHA

Moving endangered or protected animal or plant species, and their parts or by-products under CITES

Endangered or protected animal or plant species, and their parts or by-products, under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) can only pass through designated ports.

Check the latest information on these ports and CITES permit and notification requirements.

Certain products may fall under both the categories of products of animal origin and CITES items and must therefore comply with the 2 sets of requirements.

bottom of page