top of page


Additional information on moving controlled goods from the EU to the GB, and customs and borders procedures for hauliers

Note: The processes outlined in this section are additional processes to be conducted as well as the other processes.

Moving excise goods into the UK

If goods are going to an excise warehouse in the UK, the driver will need to ensure that they hold either a copy of the eAD or commercial documents that clearly state the ARC, before they leave the port. Drivers should obtain these documents from their customer or an intermediary working on their behalf.

However, if the importer has used a simplified customs procedure that allows for the arrival of the goods to be delayed, the creation of the eAD will also be delayed until the goods have arrived. The driver must instead ensure they hold a copy of the pre-lodged customs declaration, which must include details of an excise movement guarantee, before leaving the port.

If goods are still travelling to their delivery address by the end of the next working day following import, the importer (or their agent) should supply the driver at this point with a copy of the eAD or the ARC to formalise the excise movement requirements.

Find out about importing excise goods into the UK.

Moving live animals and high-priority plants and plant products into GB

If the driver is carrying high-priority plants and plant products, live animals or goods covered by CITES the EU exporter or their agent must make sure that they provide the following documents and/or data to accompany the consignments.

The driver needs to present these at check-in at the EU border:

  • the original, wet signed, EHCs if one or several are needed

  • the original phytosanitary certificate

  • any CITES documentation required

Checks on these products will be carried out at the point of destination:

  • more detail will be provided on the location of checks for these goods in a Target Operating Model (TOM) that is due to be published by the government in the Autumn 2022.

Moving SPS goods into GB

As of January 2022, for EU to GB movements:

  • products of animal origin (for example, meat, honey, milk or egg products) and animal by-products will need pre-notification

  • all regulated plants and plant products will need pre-notification

  • any physical checks on high priority plants or plant products will continue to be conducted at points of destination

In addition to these requirements, CITES-listed goods, live aquatic animals for aquaculture and ornamental purposes and equines will need to meet separate import requirements.

Details of these new procedures will be set out on GOV.UK.

Find out about delaying declarations for EU goods brought into GB.

Check if you need to make an entry summary declaration.

bottom of page